CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Idea that needs to DIE



Some things are considered sacred traditions like respect for elders, or washing one's feet before entering a Hindu temple, or cleaning the grave of our ancestors.

These traditions may exist for generations to come and should be maintained in order understand our past, and honor cultural values, etc.

The ONE tradition that needs to DIE is the one where "fair-skinned daughters" are highly coveted vs darker skinned ones.

I was watching the WTA tennis tournament in Dubai. It was the quarterfinals match where SerenaWilliams was playing against Ana Ivanovic. Whenever Ivanovic scored, the applause was a roar and it was not vice-versa. Williams won the match, and she obviously played better than Ivanovic. But, then why the crazy screams for the loser? I couldn't help but wonder if it was because Ivanovic is the "prettier" and lighter-skinned one of the two.

The middle east (among other parts of the world) is definitely one of the places where a fair-skinned girl is MUCH more appreciated (no matter how drab she might actually be) than someone who isn't.

Almost all of Asian countries are obsessed with "Fairness creams" that claim to lighten a woman's skin therefore making them more attractive.

Long ago, in the days of colonialism / imperialism, fair-skinned self-proclaimed Gods (aka europeans) landed in countries nearby, and brainwashed the idea of WHITE = GOOD. DARK = BAD. So for those hundreds of years of European occupation, locals associated beauty with the right skin color.

IMPERIALISM IS NOW OVER. THERE ARE NO MAJOR COLONIES LEFT. THE WHITIES HAVE LEFT!!!

India rejoiced at the thought of the British finally leaving. Songs were written, Gandhi was lauded to the max, all the Indian revolutionaries were given Saint-status, and tears of joy were everywhere. India claimed to go back to its roots, its culture, and its traditions now that the British finally left.

Too bad, the whole "white skin = better" idea never left. It's still there.

I can't count the number of times my grandma, and aunts have thanked the Gods for blessing my sister and me with "fairer skin" My dad cries a river every time I go to the beach and come back tanner and darker. Heaven forbid I tan 2 shades darker. I need to preserve my pristine, fair skin because THAT is what makes me beautiful.

After generations of brainwashing, the idea has stuck and never seems to DIE. For every ONE person that thinks color is not important, there are about 10 others who think otherwise.

I really hope my generation redifines the notion of beauty: that it comes from within, and is NOT skin-deep.

FUCK the fairness creams and DEATH to this whole idea!!!!

2 comments:

The Big Dreamer said...

mmm... preach it, girl -- go'on and preach it!

-- signed, the darkest daughter out of four. lol

The Big Dreamer said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FLEW OUT TODAY!!!! T__T *tears*

I don't know if you could tell the other night, but I was starting to get teary eyed! I hope you have a nice, safe flight. Please update this thing like EVERY WEEK!! lol, I would love to hear and see all about it.... for the next two years. T__T I'm going to miss you soOoOo much!!! But I know you're going to have the time of your life. :D I'm happy for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Love you always, babygirl!!