CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Are we simply programmed?

Why do I feel like women are sort of programmed these days? Even the young ones, especially the young ones. We live in an age where choices are countless; career, clothes, hair styles, breast sizes, and of course men. But, why does it seem that most young women seem pressured to accomplish something instead of doing it by choice?

I'm talking more specifically of marriage. At the ripe old age of 21, or 22..I have seen girls worry about marriage. Some are already married by this age but that was their choice and they're happy with it. But why do the girls that aren't married feel stressed when they hear about someone else getting married? It's not everyone, yes but why has the ring become so important?


I feel like times have changed somewhat. Back in the day, women didn't really have much of a choice when or to whom they got married. Being unmarried in your late 20's meant something was definitely wrong with you. Now, that women DO have the choice and you are NOT considered a leper if you're not married by 27, it just seems that women freaking about about marriage has just become more VOCAL.

College Graduate: 21
In a Relationship: ~21-22
Engaged: 22-23
Married: 24-26
Babies: Between 28-33

I've fallen prey to this 'programmed timeline' as well. I have definitely thought about it. It seems like the young women who aren't necessarily following this are freaking out. If you're in it, it's ok. If not, well...something might be wrong with you.

I truly am happy for my friends who have chosen to get married because it's about love. But the rest of us are not falling off nature's 'plan'.

Learning to differentiate between a programmed decision and a personal one might be the challenge of my generation (or at least to me)






0 comments: